Full-time, D.C. metro area
The Discovery Channel family of networks is seeking an experienced and passionate Web developer to join our in-house creative department.
You will work within an exciting, high-paced, über-creative environment. There is a wide variety of work across multiple networks including Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, The Science Channel and others. You will be challenged and expected to perform at a high level.
Our ideal candidate is someone who:
- Learns new programming languages because it's fun
- Is active in programming communities
- Can demonstrate how they have used code to creatively solve problems
- Can communicate about complex technical topics with clients, designers, and other team members in a non-technical way
- Enjoys being challenged by designers and other non-programmers
- Architect and develop Django-based websites
- Provision servers and deploy sites
- Maintain existing sites and servers
- Manage hosting expenses and re-billing of services to clients
- Manage collection of code repositories for projects on Bitbucket
- Provide technical support to team for tools such as Mercurial, Fabric, and virtualenv
- Manage development and QA team
- Participate in brainstorms and planning meetings to help concept projects and provide technical guidance
- Keep on top of latest developments in the field to ensure that the most appropriate tool for the job is always being used
- Linux (Ubuntu)
Send resume, cover letter, code samples, and URLs to Cory Key.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications is the number-one nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in over 170 countries. Discovery's over 100 networks of distinctive programming represent 29 trusted brands including Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Discovery Health, The Science Channel and Discovery HD Theater.