Freelance, D.C. metro area (on-site required)
The Discovery Channel family of networks is seeking an experienced and passionate Flex/Flash developer to join our in-house creative department.
You will work within an exciting, high-paced, über-creative environment. There is a wide variety of work across multiple networks including Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, The Science Channel and others. You will be challenged and expected to perform at a high level.
Our ideal candidate is someone who:
- Doesn’t use the timeline for animation
- Can’t draw
- Creates reusable code
- Knows how to make use of internal and third party APIs
- Knows the ins and outs of audio and video in Flash
- Isn’t afraid to suggest new techniques and technologies
- Can use code to bring designs to life
- Has used their skills to develop games
- Builds interactives and applications, not banner ads
This position requires:
- Fluency in ActionScript 3
- 3+ years Flex/Flash development
- Core understanding of programming concepts
- Excellent communication skills (fluent in English)
- Excellent code documentation skills
- The ability to meet tight deadlines
- The ability to work closely with Creative Directors, Art Directors, and designers to ensure creative vision is achieved
- The ability to work closely with Web Developers to integrate server-side functionality and tackle technical challenges
Bonus points for:
- Contributions to open-source projects
- Experience with DVCS
- Exeperience with Akamai and/or Brightcove
- Experience with the AS3 Facebook API
Please send your resume, cover letter, code samples, and URLs to Rich Leland.
About Discovery Communications
Discovery Communications is the number-one nonfiction media company reaching more than 1.5 billion cumulative subscribers in over 170 countries. Discovery's over 100 networks of distinctive programming represent 29 trusted brands including Discovery Channel, TLC, Animal Planet, Discovery Health, The Science Channel and Discovery HD Theater.